Here’s a muffin that isn’t sugary, starchy and devoid of nutrients – like the muffins at your favorite coffee shop. These muffins are rich in beta-carotene and contain half an egg’s worth of high quality protein. The delicately sweet flavor will satisfy and have you coming back for more.
Here’s what you need…
- ½ cup coconut flour (find at natural foods store)
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup canned pureed pumpkin
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 pecans for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Oil muffin pans.
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flour, spices, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, place the pumpkin puree then add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add melted coconut, honey and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, blend with a whisk until most lumps have disappeared.
- Spoon into prepared muffin pan, filling each muffin 2/3 full. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 127 calories, 7g fat, 230mg sodium, 11.7g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 5g protein.